Thursday, August 21, 2008

Reflections from a Tennessean turned North Carolinian on visiting Tennessee

My brother Kameron is a freshman at the University of Tennessee. That's a pretty tough statement to swallow. He's off going to class, taking harder classes than I'll ever have to take (ugh..chemistry...although he's never experienced graduate research methods...fun!). He is a nursing major from what I can tell, and he eventually wants to be that guy that puts you to sleep during surgery. From what we know, these people make some pretty good money. His first day was yesterday, and as I saw him on Facebook earlier, he survived. Hopefully I'll get his thoughts on college later. He let me walk around with him on campus this past Tuesday, and we had a pretty good time. I saw the buildings and some of the classrooms where he has class. Actually, his psychology class is where I auditioned at UT for an opera assistantship (I ended up staying at UNCG). His campus is much bigger than mine, so his adventures should be great, although most likely unsafe. But where is the adventure, truly yea, without the danger?

Saturday was the day we moved Kameron from tiny little Seymour to Clement Hall. It took us FOREVER to get checked in. We met Igor, the RA, and it took very little time to get all of Kam's stuff onto a cart and up into the room. We did have to wait a day und half for the elevators, but we showed tremendous patience and courage, for Kameron's sake. We moved around the furniture (it's pretty cool, his desk is connected to his bed like a bunk bed and it saves quite a bit of space) and I got to chill on his bed for awhile. It brought back memories of my time with Tim in the dorm. His place is set up to share a bathroom with one other room (his suitemates) so his bathroom will probably be much cleaner than my dorm's. Anyway, we had a good time. I think Kameron is really happy to be out of the house and "on his own." He is on his own in many ways, but he still has to depend on my parents for the monetary needs and desires. We all wish him the best of luck and keep him in our prayers and this new chapter of his life begins.

I was fortunate enough to see my friend Kevin (I've known him since I was 2) and his band play on Saturday night after Kameron settled in. It was really very thrilling. I saw many people with whom I had attended church so many years ago when I was in the youth group of Seymour United Methodist Church. I didn't get to speak much with anyone, although, because the place was very small and the music was very loud. AND I forgot to bring my musician's earplugs so I've probably lost some hearing, or I will in the future. Nonetheless, I had a decent time and enjoyed listening to Kevin's songs. I was driving back home that night to drop a friend off at his car, and we had an interesting conversation. Now, I certainly don't want to devalue his opinion, but I thought I would share something that I've been thinking about and struggling with for many a year. I always appreciate my many friends holding me accountable, and this instance was no different. I was told (and I paraphrase, perhaps even inaccurately): "I just don't think you're at the point where you can sit down and talk with people who have very different ideas from you and just be at peace with it. You seem to take personal offense to some things and are just not at that point to where you can agree to disagree. You just shouldn't limit yourself and your friendships to people who think and believe exactly as you do. The way you operate, the way you think, the way you talk and act, Logan, is different from most people (I took this statement as a compliment!), and some of your conversations (we talked about sin and Scripture) are just not applicable. Some people just don't live in that academic world." We debated back and forth for a little while, with some personal examples that I won't divulge. Here was (and is) my basic stance on these broad ideas: 1) Either you believe the Bible is infallible and "applicable," or you believe it is not. I believe it is both of these (both infallible and applicable). The whole "some things are ok, others are not," the "pick and choose" mentality, is another debate, but that's an extremely dangerous road, and I urge Christians to choose faith over a very limited human comprehension. 2) If what I believe is true, a few years on this earth cannot compare with an eternity in Heaven. Heavenly thoughts and actions would seem to hold much more weight. 3) I don't "limit" myself, I am free to choose Christ. Yes, I have friendships and associate with those who are not Christians. Paul says, "I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people; I did not at all mean with the immoral people of this world, or with the covetous and swindlers, or with idolaters, for then you would have to go out of the world." (1 Corinthians 5:9-10) Paul means not to associate with fellow Christians who are living in sin. So, yes, I do hold my Christian brethren to a higher standard. Yes, since we have an agreed standard, I'm going to to pursue developing deep relationships with these brethren. You can only go so far with those that are a) not Christians and b) firmly against what you believe. 4) An argument was made that I have "shunned" people in the past for disagreeing with me. One particular situation was brought up, and I will say this for those who don't know what I'm talking about. It was a mutual hiatus, although it was made reluctantly. It was a good decision. After the hiatus was over, the other party decided that they would no longer pursue my friendship. That's what happened, although I'm sure there are other opinions. I am willing to be anybody's friend, but I will not stop those who don't want to be mine. That's(those are) my stance(s).

I also sat down with Kevin on two different nights and talked about everything under the sun (and above it, too). I really enjoyed our time together. Although we don't see eye-to-eye on many things, we still have a lot in common, and our personalities still seem to mesh pretty well. I wonder if it's always been that way, or we just had profound influences on each other growing up that molded the way we view life. When Kevin and I talk, it always shows me where I'm at in my faith, often times because I have to assess, explain, defend, and compare it on a fairly deep level. I am thankful for the life I've been given and the friends that I have.

Also, and this will probably come in a later post, I received a subscription to a "20s-something Christian" magazine from my grandmother. This entire issue was devoted to why I'm not married. Different articles presented these view points:

1) It's ok that you're not married, you are a good and special person. You just need to prepare yourself for marriage, unless, of course, you're one of those "gifted" persons (those single for life).

2) You're way too picky. I mean, look at yourself. You should consider those less attractive girls that may not agree with you on every little picky theological/Scriptural detail.

3) You're being irresponsible. Marriage and family are the most important relationships you will ever have. Your priorities are messed up. (After being asked, "What about those who seek their Master's degree?"): The Master's degree is just another excuse for putting off responsibility. That's what these 20s-somethings are afraid of: responsibility.

Ooh, good stuff. More on this later.

No comments: